For this unit, we had to choose a topic, form a slant about it, research the topic, and produce a feature article, similar to those in a magazine. It was a joined unit between Health and RLA, as we're learning about wellness issues in Health recently as well.
My topic is sleep deprivation. I chose this one because I've noticed that my sleep schedule had been pushed back by a lot in the past weeks, and I had difficulty performing my best during school. I wanted a chance to explore on why this happens – I never intentionally slept late. After I chose this topic, I developed my slant. My slant is: Especially for students, sleep is the ultimate tool to “renew” the brain for an excelled academic performance during the day. I decided to focus on academic effects because being a student, most of my time is spent on school related things, so this was most connectable to me.
Now that the slant was created, I started to research. Using a school-trusted search engine WebPath Express, I compiled facts from a spectrum of different sources. This stage was the hardest for me, as a lot of my sources contained long articles that were tedious to read. However, I managed to plug in my earphones and read through everything, taking notes on any important facts I came across.
With all the research neatly sorted, I started working on my article. After the whole article was written and revised, I created my feature article on Pages. Thanks to Ms. Dowd's crash course, I understood the text elements that gives appeal to a feature article, and I knew what I should try to do. I chose a color scheme using a color palette from colourlovers.com, a font from dafont.com and laid out my article.
=================================================================
This is my feature article:
You had a lot of fascinating facts. The first paragraph had me hooked on, and it still had me going. This was really well thought out and you really reached your potential.
ReplyDeleteI was impressed by how much evidence you stated on your article and I RUV the formatting and spacing. A strategy I would use is, and I already am using, is putting on white noise. The low hum of the fan makes me to go sleep.
ReplyDelete