Wednesday, 19 April 2017

SS: History Alive! Reflection

History Alive! Bibliography:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EZdovh12mgmYVijCC0tyK42vbXxjje2pKuK1lZ9aJy8/pub
History Alive! Website link: https://qian46838.wixsite.com/historyaliveproject
=================================================================
Reflection questions:
  • What did you learn about your topic that you did not expect?
    • Researching a lot on the Triangle Fire made me realize how inhumane the working conditions were back in 1900s. Reading interviews, listening to podcasts, all gave me a chilling, new perspective on workers' rights. Before, I had thought that workers' rights were always just "workers' rights" – simple rights that workers are entitled to and have. I did not expect at all to learn of the abuse of the simple needs workers should've gotten. This was a huge discovery for me and also shocked me greatly. I was even more surprised to learn that, despite the continuous efforts of organizations and the government to reform labor rights, some of them are still being abused today, just at a much smaller scale. 
  • If you had to keep working on your project to improve it, what would you do?
    • I would first listen and read to all the primary sources listed on the Cornell website. I didn't have enough time to do this for this project, but being able to go through all the first-hand insights would be extremely helpful for me to gain a better perspective on the story, as well as be able to retell the event better.
  • What do you like and dislike about project based learning?
    • I love project-based learning because it gives me lots of freedom to do whatever  I want to do. I love hands-on learning, and projects like these allow me to learn a lot through trial and error. However, one thing I disliked about this project was the pacing. I wasn't too organized with managing my time for this project, so I would complete a big part one day, none the next, and then work again after that. This uneven spacing of work time made it a bit difficult to complete this project.
  • How have you grown as a learner in the process of this project?
    • Because this project needed so many trial and errors, I definitely grew as a learner through these experiments. From this project, I learned many things, most of which I had to learn myself through trying different things. In addition, I learned how to research the "right" amount, depending on the project. In my NHD project, I researched a ton, so when I got to this much smaller project, I wanted to over-research at first. However, as time went on, I slowly started to grasp how to manage my research-load so that I have enough information to do a project without overworking myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment