Sunday, 18 January 2015

RLA: Friends: A "Need", Not A "Want (Personal Essay)

This is my personal essay that I wrote in RLA.
Participating in the “epic journey” of school for over eight years now, I know through experience that friends can be someone’s biggest problem as well as gift.  Close your eyes and picture this: a lone girl shuffles through the crowd, but not quite blending in. She doesn’t talk to anyone, she doesn’t laugh or joke. Her life is the definition of misery and loneliness. She is just nobody of the busy school. This probably isn’t the thing you or anyone would want to experience. Here’s another one: a girl is surrounded by her friends and she is grinning from ear to ear. Everyone around her is happy, and so is she. This is probably more like the experience you would want to feel.That’s right, I’m talking about the outcasts of a normal busy school. I believe everyone should have someone whom they can rely on and trust, or in other words, a friend.To start with, it deeply troubles me to know that a large amount of kids who are the least popular doesn’t have friends. Being the least popular, nobody cares about them, much less than think about the lonesome and dismal time they endure everyday. The worst part is, they don’t have a simple friend whom they can rely on. A friend is essential for everyone, no matter how low their “rank” is.For one, my friends can and will cheer for me no matter what, whether it’s a dance performance or I’m just going through a very blue day. They know what I’m going through and know what to say to cheer me up. I still remember the day when I failed a test really bad a few years back, and I was so devastated. It was my best friends who calmed me down and talked some ambition into me. I cheered them on vigorously as well when they were up for the talent show and needed some confidence.Also, best friends are the closest people to me other than my family, and sometimes, there are things that I’d rather confide with them than my parents. For example, my social life, my school life, funny  rumours I’ve just heard about…… A psychologist came and gave SAS a lecture about finding friends just a couple days ago. He said that kids don’t like to talk to their parents about school and daily life, and it’s true. I’m never willing to share those pieces of information with my parents, mostly because I know that maybe a week later, when someone starts asking about it, my “precious” secrets will be shared, and that’s not good. So who else can I talk to? Wise choice: my closest friends. After all, friends were made to rely on and trust.Lastly, there are so many things that are going to be pointless if I do it by myself. Think about going to an amusement park to celebrate something…… by myself. Yeah, that seems lonely. Sleepovers also sounds fun, and so does water wars, snowball fights, and even simply hanging around. But not so much if I’m the only one doing it. These exciting things also adds another long list of awesome things I did and enjoyed. Also, it’s always nice to be sad and suddenly think, Well, at least I won that really epic snowball fight. Haha, and……. It would definitely help to boost my spirit up. Doing these things are great way to relieve stress and have fun, and I’m one of the lucky millions of children who knows that. Above all, I believe that everyone, no matter how young or old they are, needs a friend. A friend that you can depend on, a friend that you can laugh with, and most importantly, a friend you can trust.

1 comment:

  1. From Mom: Great use of words, and there are great details.

    ReplyDelete