Monday, 3 October 2016

RLA: Quarter 1 Reflection

      So far, we've been mainly working on our application essays. I've improved so much on the techniques that make an application essay stand out. One thing that I felt was changed drastically from my essays before was the flow between narrative, reflection, and imagery. I've also developed a good character with a different, intriguing side through the events told in the essay.
      Although I've been introduced to the note taking signposts last year, we've been learning about them again this year. And the lessons about this time really ingrained the knowledge in my head so it's more of an automatic response to "Oh, here's a signpost. What does it mean?" rather than having to pay attention to not skip over this kind of important element.
      For writing, I would like to work on further refining my reflection so it shows a more sophisticated side of me, not just an interesting one. I'll do this by first asking my peers for feedback, then ask Mrs. McKinnon more specific questions about it during the pre-submission conference. Then, I'll go back and revise, revise, and revise. I think I may also try reading some reflection-writing tips from the internet and see if it helps.
      For reading, I want to improve on coming up with a deeper understanding of the signposts. Right now, although I have a bit of that automatic stop when I notice a signpost, I'm still struggling a bit to come up with a really good "why" for the signpost. I'll achieve this by just practicing on stopping and thinking deeply whenever I read. Practice makes perfect, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment