Thursday, 28 May 2015

Social Studies: Kitchen Midden Paragraph

Some months ago in Social Studies, I wrote a paragraph pretending that I'm a CSI excavating artifacts. I've copied and pasted it below:

October 7th, 2014  8:40 am
I have just came back to my house after studying kitchen midden found in the coast of Singapore. It was well preserved, and was discovered by a local farmer who happened to step in a cave.
There was lots of dirt and stones in the a heavy sack that held everything, and I excavated a Taylor Swift CD, an Elvis Presley CD, an animal-like corpse, a piece of stone, and a piece of broken pottery.
Carefully, as I don’t want to break anything, I used my paintbrush to brush away layers of dirt and stone, and used my tweezers to take the artifacts out. It was agonizing work, but the knowledge I would receive would be worth it. Using relative dating, I knew that the Taylor Swift CD was put in there later than the Elvis Presley CD.
The animal-like corpse was a dead squirrel. After taking it to a lab and using radiocarbon dating, I knew that the squirrel was killed two years ago. However, how was its body preserved so well? It was in a sack, after all.
I discovered that the piece of stone was actually a fossil of a squirrel. It seemed odd to me that there’s a corpse of a squirrel and a fossil of a squirrel.
Lastly, after again brushing gently along the surface of the broken piece of pottery, I realized that it was actually a really precious piece of artifact, dating all the way back from where the Trojan War was going on. There was a date on the back of the pottery, and from absolute dating, I knew when this was created, As odd as it seems, there was a claw print that was so hard to find that I nearly missed. It was proven that it was a squirrel’s claw print.
Why is everything so related with squirrels? I went back to the CDs, and found scratched outlines of squirrels on the back.
The corpse, the fossil, the pottery, the pictures… I knew that something weird is going on. Besides, the dates of the pottery and the CDs is so far apart, how did someone or something gather them all? Is there some sort of belief of squirrels that us archaeologists have over-looked for the past hundreds of years?


Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 9.04.39 am.png

Dr. Qian

No comments:

Post a Comment